Kobe Mathibe is a Registered Professional Engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) and a member of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE) with a B.Eng (Electrical Engineering) (2001); B.Eng (Honours) Electrical Engineering (2007) and Programme in Project Management (PPM) all these qualifications were achieved through the University of Pretoria. Started his career in a coal mining plant where he acquired experience in plant maintenance and design of electrical systems for the coal processing plant. He gained experience in HV and MV transformers and switch-gears, AC and DC motors, electrical cables sizing, protection relays grading, plant automation and other electrical systems.
Through further training he acquired an honours degree in electrical engineering and his focus was on the following fields:
• Electrical Protection which includes Earthing and lightning protection
• Energy Management
• Power Systems Stability and Quality of Supply.
• Power/Industrial Electronics
• Industrial and public illumination/lighting designs
A Programme in Project Management gave him an edge in application of modern Project Management principles in various projects.
Some of the projects he completed were in:
• Electrical Supply Planning: Electrical Reticulation, urban and rural network
• Street-lighting and High-Masts Design and Installations
• Power Factor Correction
• Energy Loss studies and Energy Management
• MV Substations Design
• Plant Maintenance Planning and Execution
• Electrification Designs and Refurbishment for Commercial and Industrial Clients
• Electrical Master Planning